will vu pull the plug on classic client?

sadecatgirl
by sadecatgirl · 146 posts
2 years ago in IMVU News
Posted 2 years ago · Author
MarkC2021 wrote:
I can understand a lot of people being steamed over the VIP tiers. Legacy VIP was $75 a year, and none of the tiers gives you the option to buy an entire year at once.
The Platinum tier at $9.99 a month comes to $119.88 a year. A premium account at Second Life is only $99 a year, and from what I've seen, the powers that be there don't seem to have a lot of hangups about adult content. Having a long debate with myself about staying at IMVU. It's not a sign of insanity to talk to yourself, as long as you aren't surprised by the answers.

@MarkC2021

we can hope that they add a yearly subscription though it may take a while before we get that...if they even consider it...
Posted 2 years ago
@sadecatgirl

yeah i can fully understand
BIG UPDATE EVERYONE!!!!

a new pinned comment has been made on the discussion! i quote some points here:

"I got clearance to let you all know Tiered VIP will have quarterly and annual subscriptions in the future. We don't have an ETA on that but in the short term customers who so desire will have access to a $50.00 gift card option that will let them have 8 months of Platinum VIP. Can you gift this to others? When is it coming? When I know I will create a closed post that will direct to this post. Best to keep the conversation in one place."

"I will jump the line of comment questions to answer the question posed regarding DA's comment about the Classic Client being retired in 1-2 years. That was a miscommunication. You will note in her earlier comment she stated it will likely be in a few years yet later she says 1-2 years. So which is it? The 1-2 year was something I told her by phone about Legacy VIP being removed completely. My fault if she misunderstood. IMVU wants to move forward and modernize VIP which is going to be Tiered VIP. That means some of the legacy VIP features like seeing your visitors on your legacy homepage may not be transferred over to Tiered VIP. IMVU wants to gradually migrate all VIP subscribers to Tiered VIP by November 1st, 2022. This is why you will notice that you cannot start a new subscription plan for Legacy VIP. But, wait, why did I state 1-2 years to DA5? Because my reply was to the question as to when all VIP members would be using Tiered VIP. I cannot say all will be moved in a year because I don't know yet. As an example, what about the customers who bought VIP gift cards for several years? Are they migrated over on November 1st, 2022 or something else? As I have not received a definitive answer to that question I conservatively put out 1-2 years."

"As for the Classic Client I have not heard anything definitive about IMVU wanting to retire it. If that ever happens I will be informed and have the unpleasant task of passing along the news. But the bigger problem for Classic Client is that it's getting old. There is going to come a time when something erodes the experience on Classic Client. The 32-bit application going away in a future Microsoft announcement is a concern. IMVU does not desire to upgrade the Classic Client to 64-bit if 32-bit becomes obsolete on the Windows operating system. The reasons for that decision have been discussed many times so I won't repeat them. Thus, the goal is to start improving Desktop so that Legacy users start to happily migrate there. Easy to say, harder to do. The Classic Client has been around for many years and getting Desktop up to par is a big project. IMVU Staff know this. The executive I mentioned this to last week knows it. The Product people I spoke to this week know this. If we were back in the office I'm certain a few people would be avoiding me in the hallways."

"One promising meeting earlier today was about improving the inventory experience on Desktop. One question that came up was, "How can we get Legacy users interested in checking out the inventory experience on Desktop? What will make them stay?" I was not the person to ask those questions. A good sign IMO. The questions led to some good brainstorming. I liked some of the ideas and others did not move me but that's how brainstorming works. I am hopeful for future improvements that please our Legacy customers because we listened to them and maybe even along the way we give them some surprises that they like. We'll see how that goes."
Posted 2 years ago
sadecatgirl wrote:
BIG UPDATE EVERYONE!!!!a new pinned comment has been made on the discussion! i quote some points here:"I got clearance to let you all know Tiered VIP will have quarterly and annual subscriptions in the future. We don't have an ETA on that but in the short term customers who so desire will have access to a $50.00 gift card option that will let them have 8 months of Platinum VIP. Can you gift this to others? When is it coming? When I know I will create a closed post that will direct to this post. Best to keep the conversation in one place.""I will jump the line of comment questions to answer the question posed regarding DA's comment about the Classic Client being retired in 1-2 years. That was a miscommunication. You will note in her earlier comment she stated it will likely be in a few years yet later she says 1-2 years. So which is it? The 1-2 year was something I told her by phone about Legacy VIP being removed completely. My fault if she misunderstood. IMVU wants to move forward and modernize VIP which is going to be Tiered VIP. That means some of the legacy VIP features like seeing your visitors on your legacy homepage may not be transferred over to Tiered VIP. IMVU wants to gradually migrate all VIP subscribers to Tiered VIP by November 1st, 2022. This is why you will notice that you cannot start a new subscription plan for Legacy VIP. But, wait, why did I state 1-2 years to DA5? Because my reply was to the question as to when all VIP members would be using Tiered VIP. I cannot say all will be moved in a year because I don't know yet. As an example, what about the customers who bought VIP gift cards for several years? Are they migrated over on November 1st, 2022 or something else? As I have not received a definitive answer to that question I conservatively put out 1-2 years.""As for the Classic Client I have not heard anything definitive about IMVU wanting to retire it. If that ever happens I will be informed and have the unpleasant task of passing along the news. But the bigger problem for Classic Client is that it's getting old. There is going to come a time when something erodes the experience on Classic Client. The 32-bit application going away in a future Microsoft announcement is a concern. IMVU does not desire to upgrade the Classic Client to 64-bit if 32-bit becomes obsolete on the Windows operating system. The reasons for that decision have been discussed many times so I won't repeat them. Thus, the goal is to start improving Desktop so that Legacy users start to happily migrate there. Easy to say, harder to do. The Classic Client has been around for many years and getting Desktop up to par is a big project. IMVU Staff know this. The executive I mentioned this to last week knows it. The Product people I spoke to this week know this. If we were back in the office I'm certain a few people would be avoiding me in the hallways.""One promising meeting earlier today was about improving the inventory experience on Desktop. One question that came up was, "How can we get Legacy users interested in checking out the inventory experience on Desktop? What will make them stay?" I was not the person to ask those questions. A good sign IMO. The questions led to some good brainstorming. I liked some of the ideas and others did not move me but that's how brainstorming works. I am hopeful for future improvements that please our Legacy customers because we listened to them and maybe even along the way we give them some surprises that they like. We'll see how that goes."

@sadecatgirl

"But the bigger problem for classic is that it's getting old"

When you have a product that is 15+ years old that feels high-tech compared to the new replacement product, that's when you know that you failed.
Locker wrote:
sadecatgirl wrote:BIG UPDATE EVERYONE!!!!a new pinned comment has been made on the discussion! i quote some points here:"I got clearance to let you all know Tiered VIP will have quarterly and annual subscriptions in the future. We don't have an ETA on that but in the short term customers who so desire will have access to a $50.00 gift card option that will let them have 8 months of Platinum VIP. Can you gift this to others? When is it coming? When I know I will create a closed post that will direct to this post. Best to keep the conversation in one place.""I will jump the line of comment questions to answer the question posed regarding DA's comment about the Classic Client being retired in 1-2 years. That was a miscommunication. You will note in her earlier comment she stated it will likely be in a few years yet later she says 1-2 years. So which is it? The 1-2 year was something I told her by phone about Legacy VIP being removed completely. My fault if she misunderstood. IMVU wants to move forward and modernize VIP which is going to be Tiered VIP. That means some of the legacy VIP features like seeing your visitors on your legacy homepage may not be transferred over to Tiered VIP. IMVU wants to gradually migrate all VIP subscribers to Tiered VIP by November 1st, 2022. This is why you will notice that you cannot start a new subscription plan for Legacy VIP. But, wait, why did I state 1-2 years to DA5? Because my reply was to the question as to when all VIP members would be using Tiered VIP. I cannot say all will be moved in a year because I don't know yet. As an example, what about the customers who bought VIP gift cards for several years? Are they migrated over on November 1st, 2022 or something else? As I have not received a definitive answer to that question I conservatively put out 1-2 years.""As for the Classic Client I have not heard anything definitive about IMVU wanting to retire it. If that ever happens I will be informed and have the unpleasant task of passing along the news. But the bigger problem for Classic Client is that it's getting old. There is going to come a time when something erodes the experience on Classic Client. The 32-bit application going away in a future Microsoft announcement is a concern. IMVU does not desire to upgrade the Classic Client to 64-bit if 32-bit becomes obsolete on the Windows operating system. The reasons for that decision have been discussed many times so I won't repeat them. Thus, the goal is to start improving Desktop so that Legacy users start to happily migrate there. Easy to say, harder to do. The Classic Client has been around for many years and getting Desktop up to par is a big project. IMVU Staff know this. The executive I mentioned this to last week knows it. The Product people I spoke to this week know this. If we were back in the office I'm certain a few people would be avoiding me in the hallways.""One promising meeting earlier today was about improving the inventory experience on Desktop. One question that came up was, "How can we get Legacy users interested in checking out the inventory experience on Desktop? What will make them stay?" I was not the person to ask those questions. A good sign IMO. The questions led to some good brainstorming. I liked some of the ideas and others did not move me but that's how brainstorming works. I am hopeful for future improvements that please our Legacy customers because we listened to them and maybe even along the way we give them some surprises that they like. We'll see how that goes."
@sadecatgirl"But the bigger problem for classic is that it's getting old"When you have a product that is 15+ years old that feels high-tech compared to the new replacement product, that's when you know that you failed.

@Locker

a user has commented with the following:

XXSusanXX 10 hours ago
"Microsoft stated that If you run a 32-bit program on a 64-bit machine, it will work fine, and you won't encounter any problems. Backward compatibility is a very important part when it comes to computer technology. Therefore, 64 bit systems can support and run 32-bit applications. Why wouldn't IMVU want to keep upgrading and working on Classic Client when so many of us, including myself, want to keep it so much? I understand Beta means still working on it, but it should not even be up and running until it is nearly as good or better. Desktop is nothing more than mobile formatted for a pc screen. There is no sound so I can't use my voice boxes or trigger songs, just 2 of the many things I love being able to do on Classic Client. My friends and I love getting together and everyone taking turns playing our favorite trigger songs and using our lights and sounds. Plus it lags so badly. It really is a significant downgrade compared to Classic Client, as I stated recently in a survey."
Posted 2 years ago
sadecatgirl wrote:
Locker wrote: sadecatgirl wrote:BIG UPDATE EVERYONE!!!!a new pinned comment has been made on the discussion! i quote some points here:"I got clearance to let you all know Tiered VIP will have quarterly and annual subscriptions in the future. We don't have an ETA on that but in the short term customers who so desire will have access to a $50.00 gift card option that will let them have 8 months of Platinum VIP. Can you gift this to others? When is it coming? When I know I will create a closed post that will direct to this post. Best to keep the conversation in one place.""I will jump the line of comment questions to answer the question posed regarding DA's comment about the Classic Client being retired in 1-2 years. That was a miscommunication. You will note in her earlier comment she stated it will likely be in a few years yet later she says 1-2 years. So which is it? The 1-2 year was something I told her by phone about Legacy VIP being removed completely. My fault if she misunderstood. IMVU wants to move forward and modernize VIP which is going to be Tiered VIP. That means some of the legacy VIP features like seeing your visitors on your legacy homepage may not be transferred over to Tiered VIP. IMVU wants to gradually migrate all VIP subscribers to Tiered VIP by November 1st, 2022. This is why you will notice that you cannot start a new subscription plan for Legacy VIP. But, wait, why did I state 1-2 years to DA5? Because my reply was to the question as to when all VIP members would be using Tiered VIP. I cannot say all will be moved in a year because I don't know yet. As an example, what about the customers who bought VIP gift cards for several years? Are they migrated over on November 1st, 2022 or something else? As I have not received a definitive answer to that question I conservatively put out 1-2 years.""As for the Classic Client I have not heard anything definitive about IMVU wanting to retire it. If that ever happens I will be informed and have the unpleasant task of passing along the news. But the bigger problem for Classic Client is that it's getting old. There is going to come a time when something erodes the experience on Classic Client. The 32-bit application going away in a future Microsoft announcement is a concern. IMVU does not desire to upgrade the Classic Client to 64-bit if 32-bit becomes obsolete on the Windows operating system. The reasons for that decision have been discussed many times so I won't repeat them. Thus, the goal is to start improving Desktop so that Legacy users start to happily migrate there. Easy to say, harder to do. The Classic Client has been around for many years and getting Desktop up to par is a big project. IMVU Staff know this. The executive I mentioned this to last week knows it. The Product people I spoke to this week know this. If we were back in the office I'm certain a few people would be avoiding me in the hallways.""One promising meeting earlier today was about improving the inventory experience on Desktop. One question that came up was, "How can we get Legacy users interested in checking out the inventory experience on Desktop? What will make them stay?" I was not the person to ask those questions. A good sign IMO. The questions led to some good brainstorming. I liked some of the ideas and others did not move me but that's how brainstorming works. I am hopeful for future improvements that please our Legacy customers because we listened to them and maybe even along the way we give them some surprises that they like. We'll see how that goes."
@sadecatgirl"But the bigger problem for classic is that it's getting old"When you have a product that is 15+ years old that feels high-tech compared to the new replacement product, that's when you know that you failed.
@Lockera user has commented with the following:XXSusanXX 10 hours ago
"Microsoft stated that If you run a 32-bit program on a 64-bit machine, it will work fine, and you won't encounter any problems. Backward compatibility is a very important part when it comes to computer technology. Therefore, 64 bit systems can support and run 32-bit applications. Why wouldn't IMVU want to keep upgrading and working on Classic Client when so many of us, including myself, want to keep it so much? I understand Beta means still working on it, but it should not even be up and running until it is nearly as good or better. Desktop is nothing more than mobile formatted for a pc screen. There is no sound so I can't use my voice boxes or trigger songs, just 2 of the many things I love being able to do on Classic Client. My friends and I love getting together and everyone taking turns playing our favorite trigger songs and using our lights and sounds. Plus it lags so badly. It really is a significant downgrade compared to Classic Client, as I stated recently in a survey."

@sadecatgirl

I think imvu just wants to take the eazy way out. They have someone that already wrote the script for the new layout for the new program for IMVU and there is no turning back now. We can kick and scream and they will either listen to us or watch alot of people leave and see what happend when the old players are replaced by the new ones coming in who dont know any better. I already see alot of rooms gone i use to see up. When you put alot of work into making rooms for imvu and forced to remove them now you know people are going to be upset and yet paying more now then before and getting less for what we pay for. We will see. I have heard talking to the new people coming to imvu are even checking out second life. So IMVU may not be as stable as they thought.
Reemy wrote:
sadecatgirl wrote: Locker wrote: sadecatgirl wrote:BIG UPDATE EVERYONE!!!!a new pinned comment has been made on the discussion! i quote some points here:"I got clearance to let you all know Tiered VIP will have quarterly and annual subscriptions in the future. We don't have an ETA on that but in the short term customers who so desire will have access to a $50.00 gift card option that will let them have 8 months of Platinum VIP. Can you gift this to others? When is it coming? When I know I will create a closed post that will direct to this post. Best to keep the conversation in one place.""I will jump the line of comment questions to answer the question posed regarding DA's comment about the Classic Client being retired in 1-2 years. That was a miscommunication. You will note in her earlier comment she stated it will likely be in a few years yet later she says 1-2 years. So which is it? The 1-2 year was something I told her by phone about Legacy VIP being removed completely. My fault if she misunderstood. IMVU wants to move forward and modernize VIP which is going to be Tiered VIP. That means some of the legacy VIP features like seeing your visitors on your legacy homepage may not be transferred over to Tiered VIP. IMVU wants to gradually migrate all VIP subscribers to Tiered VIP by November 1st, 2022. This is why you will notice that you cannot start a new subscription plan for Legacy VIP. But, wait, why did I state 1-2 years to DA5? Because my reply was to the question as to when all VIP members would be using Tiered VIP. I cannot say all will be moved in a year because I don't know yet. As an example, what about the customers who bought VIP gift cards for several years? Are they migrated over on November 1st, 2022 or something else? As I have not received a definitive answer to that question I conservatively put out 1-2 years.""As for the Classic Client I have not heard anything definitive about IMVU wanting to retire it. If that ever happens I will be informed and have the unpleasant task of passing along the news. But the bigger problem for Classic Client is that it's getting old. There is going to come a time when something erodes the experience on Classic Client. The 32-bit application going away in a future Microsoft announcement is a concern. IMVU does not desire to upgrade the Classic Client to 64-bit if 32-bit becomes obsolete on the Windows operating system. The reasons for that decision have been discussed many times so I won't repeat them. Thus, the goal is to start improving Desktop so that Legacy users start to happily migrate there. Easy to say, harder to do. The Classic Client has been around for many years and getting Desktop up to par is a big project. IMVU Staff know this. The executive I mentioned this to last week knows it. The Product people I spoke to this week know this. If we were back in the office I'm certain a few people would be avoiding me in the hallways.""One promising meeting earlier today was about improving the inventory experience on Desktop. One question that came up was, "How can we get Legacy users interested in checking out the inventory experience on Desktop? What will make them stay?" I was not the person to ask those questions. A good sign IMO. The questions led to some good brainstorming. I liked some of the ideas and others did not move me but that's how brainstorming works. I am hopeful for future improvements that please our Legacy customers because we listened to them and maybe even along the way we give them some surprises that they like. We'll see how that goes."
@Lockera user has commented with the following:XXSusanXX 10 hours ago
@sadecatgirlI think imvu just wants to take the eazy way out. They have someone that already wrote the script for the new layout for the new program for IMVU and there is no turning back now. We can kick and scream and they will either listen to us or watch alot of people leave and see what happend when the old players are replaced by the new ones coming in who dont know any better. I already see alot of rooms gone i use to see up. When you put alot of work into making rooms for imvu and forced to remove them now you know people are going to be upset and yet paying more now then before and getting less for what we pay for. We will see. I have heard talking to the new people coming to imvu are even checking out second life. So IMVU may not be as stable as they thought.

@Reemy

im still checking the comments on the discussion regularly for any note worthy updates...no far there's nothing much other than the same repeated shit :P no one wants to move to the new client cuz noobs be begging for gifts, shoutouts, etc. but then again usually they go away after a while cuz they get disabled :P i still get a few random shout out accounts that be spam liking my posts for some reason o-o i no longer accept random chat invites and random friend requests.

as for the rooms being removed....they'll be private rooms but still i get it.. :(
Posted 2 years ago
i knwo exactly how you feel. i finally decided to get back on imvu after a year on pc. and i come back and i see this stupid as* desktop version. so i download it to see if its the same. but its not the same at all. i was heated for a good bit cause i couldnt find the classic client but i nded up finding it after a while
Posted 2 years ago
I see a lot of new accounts every day but a lot of my old time acquaintances are like me now hit and miss on IMVU now. Its a change and so many other sites out there so who is to say who will stay and who will go and who will just be a hit and miss like me for a while till you decide what you want. Change can be good and sometimes change can drive people away. I really don't care at this point what they do any more. I think when you see someone's true colors you will either want to be around them or just want to keep your distance and not get to involved or attached to the source. Sometimes just taking a step back and clearing your own thoughts and getting your perspectives in the right order is the best thing you can do for yourself. No need to get upset over a game site. We all know the Pro's and Con's of coming to a game site that can kick you out at any given time or just shut down. Been thru it all before and you live thru it and you move on and you find joy and happiness online where ever you go :) chin up and know you have your family still here :)
nellyone wrote:
i knwo exactly how you feel. i finally decided to get back on imvu after a year on pc. and i come back and i see this stupid as* desktop version. so i download it to see if its the same. but its not the same at all. i was heated for a good bit cause i couldnt find the classic client but i nded up finding it after a while

@nellyone

if u have a windows computer u can still download the classic client but if u only have an apple computer sadly u will have to use the new client which sucks :(

-- Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:53 pm --

Reemy wrote:
I see a lot of new accounts every day but a lot of my old time acquaintances are like me now hit and miss on IMVU now. Its a change and so many other sites out there so who is to say who will stay and who will go and who will just be a hit and miss like me for a while till you decide what you want. Change can be good and sometimes change can drive people away. I really don't care at this point what they do any more. I think when you see someone's true colors you will either want to be around them or just want to keep your distance and not get to involved or attached to the source. Sometimes just taking a step back and clearing your own thoughts and getting your perspectives in the right order is the best thing you can do for yourself. No need to get upset over a game site. We all know the Pro's and Con's of coming to a game site that can kick you out at any given time or just shut down. Been thru it all before and you live thru it and you move on and you find joy and happiness online where ever you go chin up and know you have your family still here

@Reemy

yeah i have seen a few of my friends disappear :( luckily now i ask them if they're vu only or not so that i can somewhat keep in touch with them incase if they ever leave vu or something happens to their account.